Exoplanet Science Strategy Recommendation:
“NASA and NSF should establish a strategic initiative in extremely precise radial velocities (EPRVs) to develop methods and facilities for measuring the masses of temperate terrestrial planets orbiting Sun-like stars”
- Combine efforts in instrumentation, survey execution, and data analysis techniques involving stellar astrophysics and heliophysics
- Undertake the coordinated, sustained effort to tackle the myriad of error terms that currently limit RV precision.
- Assess ultimate goal to control of systematics at ~1 cm/s accounting for stellar variability and tellurics
Response: NASA and NSF are jointly commissioning a community-based “Extreme Precision Radial Velocity (EPRV) Working Group” (EPRV-WG) to develop a blueprint for a strategic EPRV initiative.
- Working Group forming now, first in-person workshop ~June 2019
- EPRV-WG to submit a candidate program architecture by Feb 2020 for consideration by Agencies during annual budget planning process
Points of Contact